Friday 6 April 2012

Day 44 - Playing with Balls & Heavy Breathing!!

Anyone for Tennis...

Met the Shorrock Family at the Tennis Club this morning.....

I will set the picture.... Rachel, new tennis racket, fit as a fiddle (if you have been following my blog you will remember that she was the tall fit bird in the picture that I went to the gym with), her husband Jason, also fit, strong and very competitive, equally so than his wife... Then, there was the beautiful Zoe, in her little purple tennis skirt, hair flowing and dark glasses looking every bit the part and Oliver, their son, tall, confident and strong!  Then..... there was me.... I don't even own a tennis racket and I watched as they powered the balls over the net.  I tried to creep off but I was recognized, probably the red hair and the bright blue t-shirt I was wearing gave me away, I was far from incognito!

I have played tennis once in the last 20 years, I was told to make sure that I must wait until all players are ready before I hit the ball into the court, then I was told that I must not whack the ball back too hard (that was funny) if it was a gentle ball (they did use some kinda terminology but I can't remember what it was).  Then, I was told that I was hitting the ball too close to my body - I was just pleased that I was hitting it at all... all four of them are excellent players, I actually felt a bit like a comedy mascot that was called in for amusement... it was fun, I loved it, thanks guys for putting up with me for the hour, same time next week??

Home, then work.... for the first time ever I was put onto the National Lottery Line, this is the line that the players call.  It was highly amuzing, especially for the other colleagues, it was only for the last hour of my shift and even Jane stayed on a little later in order to hear me on the calls... apparently there is this man who calls in every night about 10ish and all he says is "Horse" or it could be "Hoares"  they are not too sure but Jane said that when he started neighing it narrowed it down a little!  The other word that he repeats incessantly is "Boobs" so I do think that the latter is correct.... anyhow, I digress.

So my first call was a heavy breather, he caught me a bit by surprise so I just said "bye" and hung up.  My second call was "Greg" the Duty Manager for the evening.... he said in a very husky Greg kinda voice "What are you wearing?" I was secretly pleased that I recognized his voice immediately as I didn't really want to explain that I was wearing an orange ensamble (as Jane put it).

The next call hung up and the next call was a lovely chap who thought he may have won £250,000 on a scratchcard!  I was so excited, wouldn't that have been fantastic, if my very first "REAL" call was a big win!  However, true to fashion, on checking the ticket with my Manager, it was indeed "NOT A WINNER", I had to explain to my man that you had to get £250k three times on just one of the games and not spread over all three!!!! This was a typical Friday night call, along with the heavy breathing and the Horse Man!

Jane then proceeded to gallop all over the office on her chair pretending to be a horse, reenacting the Grand National, which you really had to see to believe.... she once again made me laugh so much that.................................

1 comment:

  1. Rachael Shorrock: Actually Beth is very useful on the tennis court and lightened a rather fractious family hit and basically prevented a good old punch up. Well done girl xxxxxxxx
    18 hours ago · Like

    ReplyDelete