Monday 23 April 2012

Day 61 - Marie Curie & Me



This morning was magical.  I organised to go into West Lodge Schools with a wonderful lady called Catherine from Marie Curie.  Catherine is also a Governor of the School and highly respected by all.  We attended the assemblies for the Infants and Juniors and spoke of our joint efforts in raising money.  Catherine was remarkable in her presentation, engaging the children and exciting them when talking about the Great Wall of China and the good that the Nurses can do with the money that we raise.

It was then over to me for questions. To be thrown questions from the youngsters between 5 & 11 years old was just fabulous.  I had questions like.. "How are you going to get home from the wall?" and "will you be walking , running, jumping or skipping along it?" I think my favorite question was "will you be going on the wall all the way to the end?" I explained gently that 5500 miles in just six days would be far too much for an old lady like me...

I had to explain that there were no toilets along the way and the older ones couldn't quite get to grips with it.. (nor can I to be honest), also the lack of Cake Shops was quite a disappointment.  I was asked "why am I doing it" I had to hesitate and answer carefully as I was still aching like crazy from yesterday's 11 miles walk on the straight of the Grand Union Canal!

I loved it, the whole morning gave me a buzz and at the moment when I was asked "how much am I going to raise?" the amount of £10,000 came out of my mouth.  Right there and then I committed myself to up my challenge in order to make the hall full of children proud.  On being asked by Catherine if any of them would like to take on a challenge like this when they are older, a great many of their little hands went up!  I felt that if I have touched just a small number of these children to encourage them to do charitable work when they are older then this is all worth it.  Remember you can donate on line



After my morning at the school I walked to the gym in the rain and walked 2.5k uphill in half an hour and then walked home in the rain - obviously, via Ruth's house for a coffee - (I do wish I was taking her with me!!!).

Welcome to your new improved fundraising page. Find out what's changed and why.


No comments:

Post a Comment